Thursday 19 November 2015

My Escapade-Traveling

I consider myself the adventurous type; at least someone agrees with me on that.  Astrology :-)
Two years ago I was head over heels over traveling outside Kenya, you know, wanting to experience another culture and getting a feel of how things are done in other countries. To get to know what other people like and just have fun, because to me the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if it were the first time and to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar its taken for granted.

History shows that travelling develops skills you didn’t know you had – The satisfaction you get when reaching the top of the mountain(which I did haha) or crossing a gorge, or helping a villager clean up after a storm, or simply getting what you wanted at a restaurant in the streets of Arusha town..These things all allow access to skill sets you didn’t know you had; well alongside other interesting stuff. The need for adventure is just hardwired and travel lets you tap into it.
So this time round around December 2013 my legs took me, alongside close friends to Arusha Tanzania. A city that is surrounded by beautiful Hills and Mountains, friendly people and beautiful scenery. A city that has grown trees inside Its town and its as clean you can  imagine. Roads are made; hotels and buildings as modern and a realm of breathtaking landscapes from left right and centre.With a feel of all this it was clear that it was going to be a time to unwind and relax after a long years work.

People kept on looking and smiling at us,some even went ahead to say their hi’s(za kwako?,za tangu jana?,za juzi? Vipi?)and I’m there,nimeduwaa..the only greeting  I’m familiar with is sasa? Haha I can remember the expression on the kids faces when I said this.So hilarious.With us getting the looks,I guess its what comes with being Kenyan.We are so conspicuous and hold some eminence that can’t be compared to any other..in short we just stand out.Our dressing,our body language..how we speak and all..there’s just something!And I’m proud of that.We ended up making friends even in the market places because we really enjoyed their food.
Oh their food,almost compared to Swahili dishes.. having had a Swahili background I ended up appreciating every bit of it..their mshikaki’s were out of this world..ate this from a restaurant called “Babylon”..okey it was both a club and a restaurant,the name is just weird..but screw that.The food was breathtaking.And did I forget how beautiful the ladies are?the yellow yellow dadas?as we call them?my brother ended up pursuing one..i’m yet to ask him how that went :-)
And then theres the money,Tanzanian Shillings are comedy at its best.Lol for a moment I thought I was bawling hard! You hear 30,000TZS and you’re like man! That S3? Kumbe its not even two thousand bob,though we enjoyed the affordable foodstuffs,wine and African wear that we ended up getting for our families back home.We made sure we made good use of it up there..It was a fun experience..Oh and i climbed a mountain,something i never thought i'd ever do..the heat and the blood rush.Unforgettable.

Just recently I landed a job at a certain branding company and jumped right on to start working together with them on the branding identity of a Festival called Zinduka. A Festival that happens annually in the Different East African Countries.The festival brings together the giants of the Arts,Culture,Technology and conversations.Its  gates open next week and guess where..in Arushaaa! Couldn’t be more excited to go back there and have me some fun and learn at the same time.For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move,and this is going to be worth the ride.
Stick here for an update of the event when I get back.Cant wait to share with ya’ll.








No comments:

Post a Comment