Wednesday 8 November 2017

Stop using this Word!!

So i've been on this PR Series online learning about ''Pro'' ship and becoming a better communications person and this particular article got me. Michael, the PR pundit in this series,  attended one of PRSA's (public relations society of america) events and was talking about people feeling inadequate about themselves and never wanting to appreciate who they are in their business cycles. Came across two typical examples of most of us out here who don't want to come off as braggarts and would rather lay low.

So Michael(the PR Guru) meets up with these young energetic professionals in the inner circle program whom he's immediately prompted to have convos with.

The article starts by saying we need to ban some words from our vocabulary. Some which are prevalent in the PR field lol. I don't think its in that field only, every other space whether in the creative industry or not.

Michael is like , That's great you're presenting! Tell me about it!"
He said ; I'm just the third person on the panel. My mentor invited me to join her''

The second convo came at a reception when a young woman introduced herself as a reader of Michael's posts. As they chatted he asks where she works and she said, “I’m just an account coordinator at a small agency in . . .”
What’s the offending word again ?
Yes, you saw it: just.

I read that and said bummer bummer, Never say “I’m just . . .” There are enough people out there who will diminish your standing in the world, you don’t need to help them by doing it to yourself. 
Michael goes on to say that guy on the panel is one of THE sharpest young PR pros he knows. He'd actually recommend him anywhere. He called him out for saying “just on a panel” and he explained that he thought he should be humble about it. That’s true. But when someone asks you about your presentation, it’s not bragging to answer it straight-up. And he killed it on the panel.

And beginning your career as an account coordinator is a noble start. Me and my aggressive self is here speaking my lungs out saying whether an entrepreneur hiring out sound for events big or small or just starting out an online shop for selling veggies, starting that company that offers cleaning services to these gated communities....my dearest young proffesional, all of us have been there. As i'm also trying to preach this to myself, so many times we feel inadequate and for you to even get to where you are today it took so many sleepless nights trying to reassure yourself of the future and if you're gonna make it, going through mocking to be someone. And look at you today. You did it! Or you're still in the running towards becoming that figure you've always wanted to be!

Getting to understand how does one talk about themselves without selling themselves short? Say the same thing you would normally say without any modifiers. Michael uses an example of a young lady called Alyssa.

She showed up at a small gathering he organized one evening. She introduced herself to him and the others there by explaining, “I’m attending with my CEO (name) at a boutique public affairs agency in (city). She is on her way to join us.”
And then she actively participated in the conversation. She listened, offered her opinion, and answered questions directly. If one would have thought about it, you would have put her at about 10 years’ experience, the way she held her own with the experienced PR pros at the gathering.
She didn’t say, “I’m just filling in for my CEO, who is running late” or “I’m just a junior member at a small agency . . .”
Later he asked her when she finished school, and she said with a smile, “Two years ago.” He told her she carries herself the same as someone much older, and that’s a good thing. Her CEO is lucky to have her.

What is this teaching you. So much is expected of us in the business world, whether starting or not and don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you should brag. Don’t even humblebrag. Simply avoid saying, “I’m just . . .”
You’re better than that.

Thanks for reading XX



1 comment:

  1. Its not 'just' a good read. Its a good read. Very insightful

    ReplyDelete